Sunday, January 15, 2012

Snow

There really is something magical about snow. It casts the world in a whole different light.

My husband will tell you there's nothing to love about snow. Absolutely nothing.  But I argue that it's beautiful. It makes the world look clean and bright, even if only for a couple of hours. It shrouds the earth with a noise-deadening blanket. It sparkles in the sunlight.  Yes, you have to shovel it if you intend to go anywhere. Yes, the plows come by and throw dirt on the crust. Yes, it makes driving treacherous at times. But sometimes, sometimes it makes you come to a dead stop when you've been rushing around. It makes you take stock of the world around you rather than focusing on something that likely isn't as important as you originally thought it was.

Am I getting too philosophical?

In the Midwest, we see lots of snow over the course of the winter, and I'm the first to admit that during those years where the snow doesn't seem to end, I'm good and done with it. This year, we've had an unseasonably warm winter so far, and no White Christmas. This past week was the first "real" snow we've had this season. We've had an inch here and there, but this time we got five inches. Still not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but enough to really be snow and not just a teaser. It was enough to make me want to take a snow day, even though it wasn't warranted. Enough to make a cup of hot chocolate and look out the window at the wonder of the changed landscape. Enough to turn down the noise in my mind and appreciate the quiet.

I'm sure if you check back with me in another month, after the snow is no longer a novelty, my opinion will be slightly different, but for now, I'm going to enjoy the fresh canvas outside my window.

And to my dear husband - at least it's not oobleck, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment