Wednesday, January 4, 2017

What Lies Ahead

Happy New Year!

Nobody wants to hear about New Year's Resolutions. We make them, we break them. And yet, it gives us something to strive toward. Some of my goals are already in motion so they'll be easy to accomplish. Let me look back at 2016.

+Goodreads provides a reading goal app every year, and it religiously keeps track of all the books I read. I had a slow year in 2016, so I fell *just* short of my goal. That might be the only real "goal" I set for myself.

Another goal was to publish at least two books (that's an ongoing authorly thing). I had three books ready in 2016, but while I was playing games with publishers and agents, I missed getting that third one out into the world. Instead, it will be wending its way forth in January - next week in fact. Because it sat waiting for requests and acquisition meetings, I continued on my quest and got the second book in the series completed as well. That means I will easily meet my two books a year this year. In fact, I've started on the third, so I'm ahead of the game for 2017. I *could* stretch myself and predict there will be four books in 2017, but I do still have a day job. We'll see how ambitious I get.

What do I want to do in the new year?

There's the ever-popular "I'm going to drop XX number of pounds." I've been chasing that goal for years. 2016 was a good year for me on that front. I have not lost enough to merit documenting in this blog, but I did lose some weight. I'll claim small victories. Instead of the "lose weight" goal this year, my goal is going to be closer to "make more meals at home" (in between the day job and the night job (which would be writing), make healthier meals - both The Big Guy and I should be paying closer attention to our cholesterol, so I've told him to be prepared for me to nag him as we move into the New Year. If I'm able to accomplish that goal, we should both find ourselves dropping some of those extra pounds.

2016 has been a contentious, brutal year. Shout out to +Filtod Walker for always posting positivity and ways to change the way we see things. So proud to know this man. In 2017, I want to look for the good in things, even when the future looks dark. This is where faith comes into play - when I start to worry about what "could" happen, I have to remember I'm not in control. And if I don't like the way things are going, aren't we always told to "be the change you want to see?" Another example I'm very proud to hold up, my sister and her husband for the wonderful work they're doing through their church to feed people who might otherwise go hungry. A resolution for the new year is not to sit on the sidelines while bullies and haters spread lies and try to scare and intimidate us, but instead to stand up for people who are unable to stand up for themselves. I hope to represent the good in the world.

Resolutions are hard to live up to in any year, and I've set some pretty lofty goals, but they *should* be part of my everyday life. My New Year's wish to all of you - Joy, Health, Peace and Harmony.

2 comments:

  1. As long as you set goals you can break down into small increments, they should be easier to meet. Resolutions are dreams; goals are realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resolution: a firm decision to do or not to do something. :-)

    ReplyDelete