Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Should book covers reflect characters or theme?

As I commission the cover for Epitaph 4, I'm faced yet again with trying to decide what best to put on the cover.

Through the course of my writing career, I've been to dozens of seminars and read lots of input on what should go on the cover of a novel. The overwhelming truth is that covers don't always represent the best picture of what's inside. Often, it is more about genre. Romance novels show you something sweet (or sexy) on the cover. Cozy mysteries often show cartoonish covers. Some thrillers covers are nothing more than symbols. As an indie author, I try to stick with the genre feel, but I also feel connected to what's inside.

Another secret. I'm from the "less is more" when it comes to description family. With that being said, I outline what my characters look like, but because they are unique individuals, I rarely have a "famous actor" picture in front of me like some authors do. I've been interviewed and asked "who would best portray your characters in the movie version." Heck. I don't know. I had someone ask me that with my very first novel and, after I had time to think about it, I'll admit Antonio Banderas came to mind as a perfect Dominic, and I had visions of Geena Davis as Kira, but as time passes those actors age and no longer fit that vision. THIS book gave me two perfect actor portrayals. The problem with that is trying to meet those expectations with my cover. I don't think Rachelle Lefevre or Jesse Williams will allow me to do a photo shoot to put them on my cover (but you never know!). Instead, I have to select from other cover models who might be "close" to those descriptions. Not an easy task.

Then there's the background. This series is ghostly. The original was inspired by a cemetery. The second by a haunted house. The third is still that same haunted house, but this one goes to New Orleans to uncover its ghost, a party city. Do I show the Garden District? The French Quarter? Lafayette Cemetery? Maybe the place where the ghostly showdown takes place? So many decisions!

When you read a book, do you expect what you see to coordinate with what you read? Or is it just the eye candy that draws you in? Do you even look at the cover again once you've read the book?


4 comments:

  1. As an author, I obsess about making the cover "match" the book, but as a reader, unless the cover is horrendous, it has no impact on my read. I think I can remember one time reading a character's description and then going back to the cover because I didn't have that image in my mind. Otherwise, especially with e-books, I'll probably never see the cover during the read, and on my reader's library, they're all thumbnail size.
    (This coming from someone who's currently obsessing about a minor detail on her next cover proposal.)

    But I do think a cover needs to reflect genre, and probably mood as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Terry. It needs to reflect genre and mood, and the rest is all "how I envisioned the book when I was writing it," which almost never lives up to expectations!

      Delete
  2. With my first book, I didn't really have a cover in mind. I was surprised how well the cover artist picked something that matched my vision of the characters and the tone of the book. It's always an exciting moment seeing the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On one of my covers, I was amazed that I'd completely missed a detail my cover artist picked up on based on the blurb. Sometimes they are amazing!

      Delete