Wednesday, June 6, 2018

After all the hard work is done

Every new book is a gift. After months of creative bursts and hard work and editor comments and more hard work, you read it through one last time, have a program read it to you one last time, you heave a sigh of relief as you wonder if it will pass muster.

The really exciting part? When the story still resonates with you, after writing and revising and editing and reading the same story over and over and over again.

I finished reading The Selkie to make sure the editor's revisions made sense, to make sure I hadn't thrown something else out of whack in the meantime, then I immediately had Word read it back to me so I could hear any errors I might have overlooked due to overexposure. Cover to cover, twice in a row, and you know what? I still loved the story. I still smiled at the McCormick family butting in, at the heroine's best friend trying to protect her.

Some stories you hate to put down, even when they're done.

But there's another story waiting to be written.

And here's a question. When I started the Epitaph series, I had pictured doing a boxed set of the first three in time for Halloween, and then I changed my mind. Now I'm considering boxing them together by family - The McCormicks and The Bensons. What do you think?

A | BN | iB | K
In case I haven't mentioned it, The Selkie is available for pre-order. The best part about pre-orders is they just magically appear on your app or in your mailbox. Go get your copy so you don't forget on release day!

2 comments:

  1. A story you're not totally sick of after all the read-throughs during the editing process makes you feel good. As for boxed sets -- I like the idea of following each family as long as there's good continuity and readers won't be confused. Since your books can be read as stand alones, it could work. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete