Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Widget, widget, who's got the widget

Part of writing is marketing, and part of marketing is creating a web page.  Once upon a time, web pages were fairly simple matters, created using HTML language, but as time passes and software evolves, so has programming language, and I'm falling behind the curve.  Enter a web designer (nice to have one in the family!)  While my nephew is busy working for his paying clients, I've been hounding him for a widget.  Seems like a straightforward enough thing, and he keeps sending me development notes which actually make sense to me!  Unfortunately, I'm one detail short of where I need to be, and it's taking away from my writing time!  Finally, success!  Visit the new website at www.KarlaBrandenburg.com.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, erm, computer, I have a character in my latest book who is arguing over her trials and tribulations.  This is making it hard to move forward.  One of those situations where I know what I want to do and I know where I want to go, but I can't seem to get it on paper with this character putting up a protest.  She's going to lose, mind you.  Some folks might describe this as writer's block, so here's my advice on moving past writer's block: Keep plodding along. Write something. Anything. Skip a chapter if you have to, just keep writing. Likely that's the direction I'm headed this week - skip a chapter just to get down what I know is going to happen. Once you have "something," you can always go back and edit it, but if you have nothing, you've still got nothing. Nada. Zilch.

I'm done playing with my web page for this week (unless you find errors!) so now I have to get back to the reason for the website.

2 comments:

  1. Nice site, although I had trouble with the sizing on one of the pages -- the text overlapped the spirals on the notebook on the 'what I'm reading' page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to fix that! And also update "What I've been reading." I've been neglectful.

    ReplyDelete