Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Writing is Rewriting

One of the inescapable truths of writing is that you have to fix what you've written to make it easier to read, sharper - paint a clearer picture. On a first draft, you might write something along the lines of "she walked into the room and sat down." On a second draft, you might put something more like, "With drooping shoulders, she flopped onto the leather sofa and heaved a sigh." Two different pictures, same sentence, eh?

I received comments back from my editor on Heart for Rent. A lot of what she said I already knew (but was hoping no one else would notice, silly me!). Between personal challenges that I've been facing recently and gearing up at the day job for deadline, my attention span (and my tolerance span) have been greatly reduced. People I trust tell me something isn't working and I stick my tongue out at them. (How mature, I know.) That isn't going to make my story better. Now, with a professional opinion to support what I didn't want to hear before, I have to suck it up and clean up the remaining holes in the story.

On the plus side, I've been rumbling this stuff around in my head for the past couple of weeks, so I have a direction to take. Even more of a plus, some of what I was sticking my tongue out about has been validated in my favor. It isn't all drivel. But now the real work begins.  As a very intelligent woman told me, "Revisions are the place for blending and tucking details throughout that tie it all together." The elements are there. My job now is to smear them all together. More foreshadowing in some places, better character response in others. Subtle nuances that give the reader hints of what is to come (and maybe some not-so-subtle).

Time to pull on my big girl pants and stop sticking my tongue out. There is hope for this book as long as I hunker down and get it done! Can't trust myself until after the deadline next week, however. Divided attention makes for lousy writing.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a November 1 release date. Anyone interested in an advance copy for the purpose of reviewing, please let me know - I can hook you up!


2 comments:

  1. Wow - more work goes into writing a book (behinds the scenes type of work) than what I ever realized. An author really works hard at a book and deserves every cent the book costs. No more grumbling on my part. I wouldn't mind an advanced copy, unless you get some more "better qualified" reviewers. If you do, I'll understand totally. You might want someone who has written a book to give some honest, constructive criticism, which means I wouldn't be suited for the job. I'll leave it up to you as you know what you are looking for. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mario's mom. A reviewer is someone who reads books and offers their opinion. No fancy requirements needed :-). I'd be happy to forward you a Nook version as soon as I've sorted out my edits. I'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete