Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Fitbit - helpful or POS?

About a year ago I jumped on the Fitbit bandwagon. I got it with "free" money, so I figured I wasn't losing anything by getting it. For me, the goal was to make sure I was still moving. I was encountering some physical limitations that halted my regular exercise program, so walking became more important. After a couple of months, I was able to judge where my pain point was. How many steps could I walk before the pain kicked in?

I have a Fitbit HR. I've heard from some of my friends that their model (not the HR) is great and they have no problems with it, but I have repeatedly had sync issues with mine. I'd go a couple of days unable to sync to ANY device, and then the techno gods would wave their magic wands and all would be well with the world again. At one point, I went a week without being able to sync, and that's when I called customer support. They walked me through all the help steps which I'd already done ad nauseum via their online guidance, and they finally decided that yep, my wristband just wasn't working. So they sent me a new one. Okay. That made me feel better.

Until I got the new wristband.


Within the first week, I couldn't sync the new Fitbit. So I exercised some patience and went through the same routine. Some days it syncs, some days it won't. I've recently undergone surgery to correct my physical limitations, and while I'm rebuilding strength, it was nice to be able to measure my progress, back to where I was pre-surgery and looking forward to finally making the coveted 10k steps a day (I did that once in the whole time I've had this cursed thing). Except now the wristband won't sync. Again. At all.

How much do I really want to know how many steps I walk each day? It was handy for recording exercise sessions and syncing those with my food app, but in the grand scheme of things, I've declared this tool a POS. It's often awkward to wear, and for something that works, at best, sporadically, I'm done. Maybe one of the other models would be a better option, but I've done my part in jumping on the fad bandwagon.

Do you have a Fitbit? (or other motion inducing/measuring device?)

2 comments:

  1. I have the ONE, which clips to my pocket or inside my bra. I haven't had issues with it, and since I hate anything on my wrist, I never looked at the other models. It would be too easy to spend the entire day at my desk, so having step goals as well as word count goals makes sure I get some activity into my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like knowing when to move more or feeling accomplished with how well I'd done. Another model might be a better option, but at this stage, I don't care anymore. I have a regular routine that keeps me moving now :-)

      Delete