Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Blogs - guests and hosts


via GIPHY

Undeniably, the hardest part about writing is promoting/marketing.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been doing guest stints at various blogs to talk about THE TWINS and prepare for the launch of THE MIRROR. It has made me stop to think about all the pitfalls and/or benefits to hosting and guesting.

Would you like to see other authors pop in on my blog? Maybe a "Finding New Reads" feature?

For myself, I almost always schedule my blog posts ahead of time. Because I work a day job, anything I can do to plan ahead keeps me from forgetting things. I've noticed some of the bloggers who've hosted me don't do that, and on my scheduled post day, they're suddenly scrambling for last minute information. Others send me the permalink ahead of time so I know they're all set. Most of them provide buy links to the featured book, as well as for connecting with me. I'm always grateful for their hospitality, even if they don't always do things the way I'd like to see them done (like scheduling ahead or hotlinks instead of links you have to copy and paste). I was at one blog recently where the blogger moderated comments. I don't have a problem with that, as long as they DO moderate the comments. I left her a thank you that never appeared, and anyone else who might want to comment might not if they had to be moderated, or wouldn't get a response from me if the blogger never moderates comments. Blogs are about interaction for me. I LIKE responding to people's thoughts and comments!

I enjoy the character interview posts I've read and done. Authors "become" their characters during the writing process, so there aren't a lot of questions we can't answer, and it sometimes gives readers an extra peek into the character's background or motivations. Those types of posts seem more entertaining than your standard blurb or excerpt, although I like the excerpt posts, as well. That gives you insight into what the author's writing style is.

Guesting and hosting on blogs is fun and I enjoy meeting new readers and bloggers, which brings me back to you - my audience. Would you enjoy seeing guests on my blog? Samples and interviews from other authors to help you find new books to read? What are your favorite types of blogs to read? Interviews? Excerpts? A blurb? Inquiring minds want to know!

The third in the Epitaph series is ready for the editor and on schedule for release late July or early August. If you haven't already signed up for my newsletter, there's a tab at the top of the page so you will get notified on release day!

2 comments:

  1. The writer side of me likes craft post. The reader side of me likes "behind the scenes" kind of post, and character interviews are fun as well.

    ReplyDelete