Wednesday, March 22, 2017

"Here, have a Snickers"

As many of you know, I work a seasonal day job, and we are currently in the midst of March Mayhem. What this means to me is that the job takes over my life. While I try to maintain my writing schedule, and have had moderate success balancing in the past, it isn't working this year. After a full day (which often runs up to 12 hours) of staring at my computer screen or proofreading or what-have-you, by the end of the day, I can't bear the thought of looking at my computer for another couple of hours, not to mention the fact my brain is so overworked that when I tap my imagination to kick in, it gives me that "are you kidding?" look.

I had an email from one of my very first critique partners, a friend for more than 15 years, in which she told me, "I've noticed you get very cranky when you don't have time to write.  It's almost like withdrawal for you. It could be detrimental to your health!" Don't you know it, sistah!

And then there was my sister, who said "Why are you releasing a book in the middle of busy season?" Well the answer to that one is a little easier. The book is on autopilot. It requires very little from me at this stage of the game and it's "due." Epitaph 2: THE TWINS is cued up, everything is scheduled ahead of time, so other than try to remind people that it's available for pre-order and send out teasers (which can also be pre-scheduled), the release requires minimal effort on my part. The hard part is done. Speaking of which, look what I got last week!

In the meantime - anyone got a Snickers bar so I don't turn into some villainous actor/actress?

No comments:

Post a Comment