Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Free Books?



There are those who tell me an author should give you a "free" book to entice readers to buy more, and to some extent, that does work. I've done it in the past. When I talked with a marketer last year about taking over some of my business responsibilities while I concentrated on writing, she suggested that, as well. "It invites people to try you for free."

Been there, done that. I work hard to provide a quality product, and I think it's worth spending at least a buck.

How many of you shop at Kohls? Or a similar store? Do you ever buy anything full price? As a rule, are we being told "full price" is too much? My answer would be yes, and it's for that reason that I price my books reasonably. When I see the big house publishers selling e-books for more than $10, my eyes bug out. As much as I love my favorite authors, I'm not going to pay that. Heck, I can buy the paperback for the same, and in many instances, less. So when my books are priced reasonably, I feel like I'm already providing the "low, low, sale price." And when I run a special? Yes, I've discounted the books even further, but I have a real hard time giving away my hard work for free, even as a sample.

Which brings me to why do I write. It's certainly not to get rich. I write because it brings me joy and I want to share my stories with you. I work hard to make sure they make sense, that they are the best stories they can be. I want to be professional about telling you stories and it costs money to bring them to you. I invest in my writing in hopes that you will like it, as well. So when I publish a brand new book and someone asks me "is it free?" my immediate response might not be the one I want to verbalize. Heck, even the bards of old had a hat for people to throw in their pennies in recognition of a story well told. I'd like to believe the stories I write are worth something to the people who read them.

Let me back up for a second. When I got my first Kindle, the first thing I did was search out free books. Why? First, I didn't know how ebooks worked. Second, I didn't know if it was going to be a medium I could appreciate. (Example, I'm not a fan of audiobooks. Not because they aren't entertaining, but because my attention span wavers too much to listen for an extended period of time.) I started out with the classics on my Kindle - Jane Eyre, A Christmas Carol, A Portrait of Dorian Grey, etc. I found some others that sounded interesting and downloaded those as well. Then comes the moment of reckoning. Do I enjoy reading ebooks enough to pay for one? If you're like me, the answer is yes. There are a number of authors I like and a limited amount of shelf space for paperback/hard cover. Then there's the transportability. When I go on vacation, I can take half a dozen books with me without going over the weight limit with my suitcase. I found I liked ebooks, and for those books I was "testing out," if I enjoyed them, I could still buy a paperback version for my shelf to go back to, to hold in my hands. I still prefer holding a "real" book in my hands, but for convenience and on the go, ebooks are fabulous.

Back to the "on sale" mentality. Yes, I still struggle with paying full price for a book. Hey, I shop at Kohls. I might spring for a hard cover book by someone I truly admire and know I'll read again and again. It's an investment. I do have a price I won't pay for an ebook, even for highly anticipated books by my favorite authors. Do I expect them to give their books away for free? No. Storytelling is an art form, and its worth something to me. I hope its worth something to you, too.

2 comments:

  1. Marketing is a challenge, and most of us writers aren't trained as marketers. I, too, shop for items on sale. I use coupons/deals to try out new restaurants. But if I find a gem, I go back. The problem is finding new readers amongst the vast sea of bargain hunters.

    And because of that, I decided to make the first book in two of my series free. I promoted the free book in conjunction with the release of a new book in that series. My results were gratifying. Not only did I give away a lot of books (which creates visibility in e-stores that have rankings for free as well as paid books), but sales of the rest of the books in the series jumped. Three months later the sales for that series are still well beyond what they were in the months prior to taking the free book plunge.
    I'm trying it again with another series as I release the next book. Because, a sample size of one isn't particularly valid. It's also a different genre, which might affect results.
    But, given the first in series books were already discounted to 99 cents, I'm not going to be missing out on much money by dropping them to free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience, Terry.

    ReplyDelete