Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The latest cooking trends

I got a Ninja Foodi for Christmas! What is that, you ask? Its one of those pressure cooker, multi-cooker thingamabobs, like an Instant Pot, except mine comes with an air fryer. Whoop-di-do! Fancy-schmancy.

So let me tell you about this machine. I have a friend who swears by hers, and where she lives, it is a lifesaver. For me, it's one more piece of equipment to accommodate. I did look into getting one on my own and decided I probably didn't need one. Besides, my husband is a little picky about meals (although he'll tell you differently). I get adventurous when I cook, trying new recipes, especially since I've adopted a healthier way of eating in the past year. (His comment: "Can't we eat normal again?") Individually, my new adventures have been things he's accustomed to eating, things he actually likes, but prepared differently. Zucchini noodles? Sacrilege! It doesn't taste the same. Cauliflower rice? Can't we just have regular rice? Or regular cauliflower?

But I digress.

Dear Husband is the one who bought me the Foodi. So now he has to suffer through new recipes along with me! So far, almost everything I've made has been wonderful! Some, not perfect, but I haven't ruined anything yet. "The machine" is intimidating, even after using it several times, but at least I know how to use it now. It's a handy tool, a new toy, but the shine is wearing off after two weeks. I have more "I want to try this!" recipes, and then it will likely get relegated to the back corner until I have a reason to take it out again. After all, there are only so many times I can hear "that's not how you're supposed to cook that" before I just don't cook it at all (or at least not for someone else!). In all fairness, I'm a picky eater, so my adventurous cooking is limited to what I'll eat, too.

Have any recipes you'd care to share? I'm saving those I've tried (or want to try) on my Pinterest Page. Leave me a comment or share your recipes with me there!

3 comments:

  1. My Instant Pot is a lifesaver because I tend to wander out of the kitchen and things burn or boil over. I made a batch of hard "boiled" eggs this morning--they peel!-- and love it for steel cut oats which would take forever to cook otherwise. We've done lamb shanks that were fantastic. And I love to make mini spinach "quiches" for quick in hand breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, FWIW, if the Hubster tried to tell me I was cooking something "wrong" I'd turn over the spatula and let him cook the meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving him the spatula means scrambled eggs - or ordering out.

      Delete