Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Who wants a book?

I’m giving away a book, but you’ll have to keep reading. 😉

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The reason authors write is because it's who they are more than it's what they do.

Some days, writing is a tedious job and drags you down. Then you get a review (authors should never read their reviews) from someone who says something "inconceivable" (channeling my Princess Bride here - "I do not think that means what you think it does") that makes no sense, cites no examples. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. She did say she'd read another one of my books if she didn't have to pay for it, so it wasn't ALL bad. 

When I'm writing something new and I hit my stride, it's like a fire that rages out of control. I'm in the "hot zone" right now with my next book, writing a story that is taking me right along with it. I'm still in first draft, so I'm letting it burn, but at some point I'm going to have to go back to assess the damage. My characters will need more depth (they have it, but in the rush to get words down, a reader might not see it), and my settings will need more description (again, it's there, but not transcribed appropriately). My imagination is ablaze and I can hardly keep up with it. My daily word count is doubling and trebling. At some point, the fire will bank and I'll be struggling to light my path forward, but for now, I feel like an arsonist must, excited and in awe of the blaze. 

Does that sound creepy?

But I promised you a giveaway.

I often snap pictures of the things I see/find when I’m “Out and About.” The other day, I came across this gladiolus. If you can tell me what Brynn and Nora use one for in INTERRUPTED MAGIC, I’ll send 2 lucky winners a copy of ENCHANTED MEMORIES. Who wants to play? I have paperback (1 copy up for grabs) or e-book (2 copies to lucky contestants). Shoot me your answer in the contact form on the right side of the page, or just ask me how the flower was used if you want to be entered to win. Winners will be chosen at random and announced on next week’s blog.

Or, you know, you could always buy a copy to be sure you don't miss out. 😉

Buy it at
  Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Apple | Kobo  

 

4 comments:

  1. Those on fire days are great, and they counterbalance the ones where the writing slogs. I already have a copy of Enchanted Memories, so I won't enter your giveaway, but good luck to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. Even writing non-fiction can cause this effect!

    ReplyDelete