Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Those darn reviews

There's an old saying that authors shouldn't read their reviews. If you listened to my podcast with Jess Michaels, you will have heard she is in agreement with that. I agree with it, too, up to a point. 

A review can be helpful if you've completely missed the mark with a book. As an indie publisher, I have the opportunity to go back and fix it. Or feedback can direct me into what's working and what isn't. Is my Hillendale series resonating with my readers? What about the Epitaph series? What should I write next based on how well previous books have been received? 

Here's the thing. When a new book releases, you want that "money quote" that will help promote it to other readers who haven't read it yet. A review will provide that. But after a certain point in time, you reach a point of diminishing returns. Reviews become ego feeding or soul crushing. I hit both when I went looking for that money quote for my new book. I stumbled on reviews I didn't know I had.

Who is Chad?? Demolished? And "knowing the author..." I don't know anyone named Chad, so I can only assume knows me through my books. The wait is over, Chad! Go get 'em! And thank you for the review.

I made the rounds at the major booksellers - Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, Kobo, Goodreads. Then, because I was on my tablet, I took a shortcut to B&N through their Nook app and found some that aren't on the B&N website. Interesting... Never would have thought to look there separately.

I have reviews from one person who absolutely loved the Hillendales, and then moved on to the Epitaphs. She reviewed every one of them on Goodreads and raved about how wonderful the books,  recommending them in glowing terms (Thank you, Bobbi!). Definite ego boosters. With each review, I relived each book and remembered all the things I'd loved about them when I was writing them. 

Then there's the review I blogged about a couple of weeks ago, where the reader basically said she liked the story while bashing my ability to write. One thing every editor I've worked with, every contest I've entered, has told me is that I know how to write. So who is this person? An English teacher with an axe to grind? Not "soul crushing" but definitely disappointing. I know I'm not for everyone, which is why I try very hard not to dwell on the reviews from people who "don't get me."

Double-edged swords, those reviews. They're important when it comes to promotion. Books need a minimum number to qualify for some promotions. And you know what? Some days the good reviews are what keep me going, knowing there are people out there who enjoy reading what I write as much as I enjoy writing it.

Thank you to everyone who has supported me on my writing journey with a review, both the good and the bad. I hope I can continue to "demolish" expectations with each subsequent story.

4 comments:

  1. Good reviews definitely boost the ego. But reader reviews are always "iffy." I've read scathing reviews for well-acclaimed books. I've read enough glowing reviews for books that had serious flaws that I can (almost) take the negative ones with a grain of salt. Not saying they don't sting, but the "downtime" is much shorter now. It's that review requirement for promotion sites that bugs me. You need those reviews, but can't rely on quality. (I think Chad used "demolished" as a superlative of "exceed.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that review that you are referring to and I didn't seem to notice any real constructive criticism. Since I read that book, and found the whole Hillendale Series Outstanding, that person was nuts! I have a lot of trouble reading and mainly sticking to them to get to the finish line. I've had no problem getting through your books with ease! That must mean you're doing something right 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bobbi. Everyone sees things a little differently, and I'm not saying she's wrong - but it would be helpful if she pointed out what she was referring to. There are exceptions, for instance, dialog, where grammar rules are quickly broken. But hey, she did say she liked it! LOL

      Delete