Wednesday, October 5, 2022

If it's Wednesday, it must be... Bread Pudding?

Funny, but I've only just realized I've used bread pudding in not one, but two of my books. So following that thread... (2 recipes, so make sure you read all the way to the end!)

We've spent the last few weeks "taking care of business" upon the death of my mother-in-law. Busy days. Sad days. Hectic days. Family days. With the time sensitive part of our personal business addressed, I'll be back to business as usual. 

While I was combing her cookie recipes, I came across a gem for "Bread Pudding for Two," which I'm sharing with you today. I haven't tried it yet, but you can believe I will VERY SOON. Consider this a gift from Madeleine in ENCHANTED MEMORIES.


Oh, and in case you forgot, there was apple bread pudding, a/k/a Opfenschlupfer, in MIST ON THE MEADOW. I originally posted a recipe when Mist on the Meadow came out (you can find it here). 

If you are on Kindle Unlimited, you can read all three of the MIST books there.


Recently, as luck would have it, a recipe popped up on my Facebook feed, so now I have to try THAT recipe. It's attributed to Lisa Walker, and while I'd love to link you to her website, I couldn't get there when I tried. So I'll just share it here.

APPLE PIE BREAD PUDDING
INGREDIENTS
8 cups bread, cubed
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
4 eggs
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 cup milk
2 tsp cinnamon, divided
½ tsp nutmeg
½ c sugar + 2 Tbsp
½ cup raisin


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, eggs, 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and ½ cup sugar.
Stir in the apples, raisins, then gently fold in the bread cubes. Pour into the prepared pan.
In a small bowl, stir together 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
Sprinkle on top the bread pudding. Bake 30-40 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
SAUCE
INGREDIENTS
1 cup Unsalted Butter
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 cup Brown Sugar
DIRECTIONS
In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the butter, heavy cream, and brown sugar; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, simmer until the sauce thickens, for about 5 minutes. Pour over bread pudding to serve. Top with vanilla ice cream.
* If you can, leave bread cubes out for a few hours so they get nice and dry. If not, just place them on a baking sheet and bake them at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until they’re dry but not toasted.
* You can make this the night before and pop it in the oven for breakfast – it actually gets better if it sits overnight!





No comments:

Post a Comment