Wednesday, January 31, 2024

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify, simplify!"

I first heard this quote in a movie, of all places. One with Shirley MacLaine, where she keeps marrying men who leave her bundles of money. She wants a simple life, but marries a farmer and he hits an oil well in his fields. Marries another "poor" man and he strikes it rich. One of her husbands quotes Thoreau to her. (What a Way to Go, thank you to Google for the title.) She wants a simple life, but the men she marries all want to make it rich, and they do, along with the pitfalls that go along with their new lifestyles. Then they kick the bucket.

When I’m reading, I tend to be drawn more toward an underdog, someone who doesn’t have a lot and isn’t a social climber. Generally speaking, characters have some undeclared source of income or they stand to inherit a great deal. Occasionally, they are middle class, but have you ever read a historical novel that didn’t include a member of the “ton?” Yes, I have, but they aren’t nearly as interesting. Then there are the contemporary “billionaire” type novels. They don’t appeal to me. I like the Average Joes and Janes. There are also the famous person meets “nobody” tropes. I’ve seen some of those done well, but they are also not my favorites.

That’s why I like to write working stiffs. 

Do you have a favorite trope? Poor character strikes it big? Like Shirley MacClain’s husbands in the movie? Or do you prefer the local shopkeeper? or fireman? Or another person living in middle class suburbia/trying to make it in the city?



Update on the weight journey: holding my own. Up a pound, down a pound. I’m actually pleased that the baseline is lower, even as I try to push it lower. Still tracking calories. 

2 comments:

  1. Billionaire in the title (or subtitle) is an automatic no. So are Mafia and Sheik. I want the kind of person you might run into standing in line at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I think more people can relate to everyday folks more so than the elite, and vice versa. (And isn't that a snobbish thing to say!)

      Delete