Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Working on the timeline

If you've read my blog before, you might remember that I have trouble with my timeline management when I write. I've tried several different "hacks" to keep on the straight and narrow, and I'm doing better, but...

One of the hacks is starting off each chapter with what day it is. I even started keeping a calendar beside me so I can put down what is happening on what day. Figuratively, if not literally. That works, until I then screw up the time of day, The last book, I got my days right but lost track of time of day. If X happens at this time of day, Y can't happen in the time span I've laid out. I don't know WHY it's such an issue for me. 

As I'm doing my editing passes on the new book, I'm starting with the timeline pass. In spite of best efforts, I've proven it's a necessary step. I have consciously avoided using days of the week, largely because they aren't important to the time in this book, and yet, aren't they? As I began the pass, I made notes. Day 1 - No date reference. Day 2 - no date reference. But then I noted something else. Elle is working at the store, and the store is only open four days a week, so that constitutes a time stamp. Likewise, she ISN'T working on Day 1, so that's also a time stamp. Right off the bat I need to pay attention to the dates I didn't think I needed to pay attention to. But THEN "something bad happens" that disrupts the timeline. So maybe it DOESN'T matter. (but it always does). At any rate, I've completed the timeline pass. The book encompasses approximately two weeks and three months, respectively. Now that I've highlighted what day is which and why it matters, I need to go back against a calendar and make sure it tracks. That should be the hardest part. Then, on to the copyediting phase. 

I'm still on track for an April release, and I'm still liking the working title - A JANE DOE GHOST. You like?

And now, I need to get back to work. I've had more distractions than usual this month - more on that another time.

The inspiration


2 comments:

  1. That's a major issue for me, too. With my cops, they can work any time I need them to, but some characters have jobs with regular hours, days off, etc. I try to track days, but it usually requires several passes to make sure they're not going to court on a Sunday, or going to lunch at 5 PM.

    ReplyDelete