Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Revisiting old friends

Ya know, by the time you finish writing a book, you’ve read it so many times you know each word by heart. In spite of that, it isn’t uncommon for a few rogue words to throw a monkey wrench into the works. You release it out into the world hoping for the best and praying you never have to read it again (after reading it thirty hundred times already). Did you do a good job? Is it any good? You hope readers connect with it and you move on to the next project, but you're sick of reading it over and over and over...

What’s all this about? I had so much fun writing the Epitaph books. It took an inordinately long time to get the first one right, but when I did, it launched the series and I spent the next few years with the Bensons and the McCormicks. I recently contracted to finish the series in audio, picking up with The Architect. I remember thinking I didn’t like the man I had foreshadowed for Kathleen, so I wrote her a break-up and a new love interest. As I listen to Karen Frantz reading the story to me all these years later, I’m enjoying the book as a reader/listener rather than the author. Hey! I did a good job! You'd think I actually knew how to write a story. It helps when the narrator likes it, too.

If you're a newsletter subscriber, you'll be notified as soon as the audiobook enters the world. Oh, and did I mention I have a new cover? Subtle differences. Less "American Gothic."

Learn more



For those of you asking about the weight loss journey: I'm still sitting at the "new" baseline, so in an effort to move things along, I've lowered my daily calorie goal. No one said this was easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment