Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Audio Characterizations

DARK SHADOWS releases next week in all but the audio. 💀 Woo hoo! 

My editor was very kind to me this go round. Was it perfect? Heck, no. If it was, what would I need her for? (I need her!) After cleaning things up and doing my "listening proof," the book is on track for release next week. Now I have to concentrate on the audio.

I've used the same narrator for all the Elspeth Barclay novels, and one of her questions up front is always "do you have someone in mind for these characters?" I know there are authors who do idea boards with celebrities they draw from for their characters. I'm not one of those people. I have used an occasional photo, and that's not to say there haven't been celebrities I've thought about when writing certain characters. Case in point, I pictured Jackson Browne (in his MUCH younger days) when I wrote Matt for COOKIE THERAPY. But here's the thing. I know all these characters. They live in my head. How to I convey them to my narrator? I tend to let my narrators do their own interpretations, but that doesn't always work out so good.

When Jude Erin did Horned Owl Hollow, one of the celebrity models I gave her was Lily Tomlin for Abigail Barclay, Elle's mom. A little offbeat. She performed that character beautifully. Fast forward to now. When I told her the next book was on its way, she asked about new characters. I had to consider who she could associate the characters with. Not as easy as you might think when you consider these people are often bits and pieces of people I've met over the course of my life, or completely fabricated. I sent her the list of new characters, and then provided a clue about how they sound in my head. I'm sure she'll do a great job - she always does. 

While you're waiting, I thought I'd share the book trailer with you! What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment