Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Animal Stories ... In the beginning

Yes, I know I promised the escapades of K.C. and Pooh, but I thought it might be more appropriate to show the progression of pets first.

Once upon a time, my (ex) husband and I went to a shelter to find a dog (for him). When we got there, this woman (me, who is a cat lover) went into the cat room and fell in love. I bonded with my new friend, and went looking for my (ex) husband. He "HAD TO HAVE" a dog. Except he couldn't decide which one.

Ex: This one. No, that one. No, wait.
Shelter worker: Do you want a big dog or a little dog?
Ex: Big one. No, maybe a medium sized. What about that one?
Shelter worker arches eyebrows: I think you should go home and think about it, and then you can come back tomorrow.
Me: I want this cat.
Shelter worker: Happy to help you, ma'am.

We go home. Sulking ensues.

Ex: We went to the shelter for a dog, and you came home with a cat.
Me: But you couldn't decide. They wouldn't give you one just to give you one.

After much discussion, and since it was just a whim for him, I made the decision. Told him which dogs I'd be willing to live with (since he didn't know, as long as it was a dog).

We found a beautiful dog from a litter in a private home who changed my mind about being a doggy mommy. Dog and cat "grew up" together and were great friends all their lives. And the dog? Guess who got her in the divorce? (hint: not the one who HAD TO HAVE a dog - he left her behind. Instead, she stayed with the one who loved her).


1 comment:

  1. We've adopted all our dogs. Three came from other owners who for one reason or another couldn't keep them any longer, and our current resident from the local rescue shelter.

    ReplyDelete