Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Continuing the series

"Between Brynn’s magic and Kyle’s new construction job, or as he says his temporary job, this pair finds they have no together time. To make matters worse, when Brynn tries to help someone, her magic goes awry.


Hillendale, the town where Brynn lives, works, and loves feels less like a friendly place. Troubles keep coming her way and her magic becomes…interrupted. Can Brynn fix her life before its too late?


“Sometimes you just know” is a line from the story, but it applies to this series. I have so enjoyed Brynn’s journey through family, magic, and love.


A wonderful paranormal read with heartfelt emotion and the best kind of personal chemistry!" - Muddy Rose Reviews

I'm busily editing the next installment of The Hillendale Novels, but thought I'd share the review (above) and give you a snippet (below) from INTERRUPTED MAGIC to whet your appetite for what comes next.


I must have fallen asleep in the woods. Ash nudged me awake to a sunny morning. A chill shivered through me and I cuddled my cat for warmth.

As we neared home, Madeleine Stephens came into view, seated on the picnic bench in the park that backed up to my yard. She faced the footpath as if she knew I’d be coming. Ash tensed and snuggled closer.

“I see her,” I said into Ash’s fur.

A low growl emanated from deep in Ash’s throat.

“I’ve got this if you want to go on ahead,” I whispered.

Ash leapt from my arms and dashed for her cat door in the workroom.

I raised my chin and continued on. “You’re here early this morning.”

“In a manner of speaking,” she said.

I wasn’t in the mood for riddles. “Should I assume you’re looking for me?”

Madeleine rose from the park bench, a flash of sunlight sparking her nose ring. “The drug charges against my brother have been dropped. Thank you for asking your boyfriend to intervene.”

“He’s not my boyfriend anymore,” I said.

She smiled, a mysterious sparkle in her eyes. “So I understand. Are you sure you’re done with him?”

“Yes. I’m glad your brother’s been cleared.” I walked past her, into my backyard.

“I canceled the spell,” she called after me.

Which meant my debt to Kyle had been paid. I stopped and bowed my head. Our relationship was officially ended. “Thank you.” I tried to let go of the flood of emotions before I turned to face her once more. “I contacted the woman I told you about, about the Wiccan coven. She’s agreed to meet with you if you still want people to share knowledge with.”

Madeleine took a step back, her eyes widening. “Thank you.” She glanced down the footpath. “I came to tell you about the spell last night, but I couldn’t find you.”

I laughed. “Are you saying you’ve been sitting here all night?”

She blushed. “No, not after I lost you in the woods. When you weren’t home yet this morning, I thought I’d wait. I figured you had to come back the way you left.”

She couldn’t find me? The beech tree must have wrapped me in its enchantment, even if I hadn’t hidden beneath its branches. “Let me get you Hannah’s contact information.”

I retrieved the slip of paper from inside the house and handed it to her.

“Do you mind me asking you about him?” she asked.

“Him, who?”

She nodded across the street. “He seems useful enough.”

I glanced at Kyle’s house, wondering once more how difficult the future would be living across the street from each other. “He’s a good man, but we had different worldviews.”

“Is that so important?”

I laughed. “It is if you hope to build a future together.”

Madeleine shrugged. “Seems you could have managed the situation, if you know what I mean. Take what you want and ignore the rest.”


You can buy INTERRUPTED MAGIC here.

Madeleine steps up in the next book, and I'm expecting an August release. More on that to come!

2 comments:

  1. Giving secondary characters their own books lets reader enjoy the familiar setting and other characters and gives room to expand. (Heck, JD Robb is on book fifty-something in her In Death series, and she keeps it fresh with character growth and new characters to watch grow. Looking forward to the release.

    ReplyDelete