Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Do you listen to podcasts?

 Hillendale 5 is currently with the editor! 

I went to lunch with my good buddy, Bobbi, the day I sent it off and was telling her about my editing trials - my struggles getting the book prepared for the editor, and she told me I should do a podcast.  

"Just talking to you today captivated my interest in the book, so now I want to see how they all tie together. I can’t remember if I asked you, but do you or have you thought about doing some podcasts on your books? You really are very engaging and I could listen to you talk for a very long time!"

I did mention she was my good buddy, right? But it sparked my interest. My son is a regular podcast listener, and I've spoken with several other people who are, also. I'm not, although I've tried. I did follow one of my son's podcast options for a while and went through an entire season - something a lot like "Mystery Theater" that I used to listen to on the radio when I was a kid. The one he recommended to me was interesting and engaging, but I was still a little behind the trend. Now that I've left the day job and have more time to focus on my writing, the idea of podcasting isn't quite so overwhelming. In fact, I got a little excited about the prospect. And then I thought about my author friends and the things I'd love to hear from them, and thought about interviewing them, as well. We all have "the inspiration behind the book" and the parts of the story that excited us enough to write it. That excitement comes out more clearly verbally than it does in writing, at least that's my experience. Clearly, my good buddy agrees. Book backstory. What do you think? 

I started playing around with it, and am sharing a link to my test episode with you. Yes, I stumble on a few words, but if I decide to pursue this, I promise to be more enunciative (how's that for a word!).

This is where I ask my author friends if they're interested in an interview spot (assuming I pursue this wild hare). Use the contact form on the right to let me know.

It's my birthday month, and I'm not above soliciting birthday gifts - specifically, supporting my writing habit by buying my books and leaving me a review. You can start with UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES which is on sale! Read one or read the whole series, but don't stop there! I have 25 books to choose from. 



2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Karla. I admire you for undertaking a new project. I've never been able to get into podcasts; I'm more of a visual person, but I listened to yours, and you did a good job.
    My son does podcasts about his photography, and they're very popular. In fact, I went to a romance writer's conference, and a man (who was there with an author friend, as it was a VERY female-centric conference) came up to me, read my name tag and asked if I was related to my son. He said he'd been following his podcast for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s encouraging news for me. I’m kind of excited about it, while still feeling a little lost in the woods. Wish me luck!

      Delete