Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Give a Little Whistle

In addition to being exciting, writing comes with its share of down times. 

Many authors struggle with depression. Most notably, The Bloggess, Jenny Lawson, regularly talks about her bouts of depression and how she deals with it. Stephen King is another example. Most authors go through dark periods, myself included. Let me say right off the bat, if you’re struggling with depression, it’s okay to get help. When I hit my lowest point, I did, and it helped tremendously. My goal today is to provide some ideas for how to kickstart your brain when it wanders down those dark alleyways, before it reaches critical mass, a very high-level approach to get past the doldrums rather than a ladder to climb out of despair. As with all things, your mileage may vary.

During the course of writing a book, there are inevitably those times where writer's angst kicks in. The “I suck” feeling. The imposter syndrome where I'm sure nobody wants to read my drivel – including me. When the creative juices seem to dry up, or when sales slack off. The problem with those days is they can creep into other aspects of your life, like The Fog (Creature Features movie, for those of you who might not remember it) until you can’t see your hand in front of your face. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

So what do you do when the fog starts rolling in?

  • Exercise.
  • Yoga.
  • Phone a friend.
  • Get outside and look at the world around you. Really look at it, at all the beautiful things hiding in plain sight (#OutAndAbout).
  • Volunteer. Nothing reminds you how small your problems are like seeing how good you have it when compared to someone who isn’t as fortunate.
  • Go the Jiminy Cricket route and “Give a Little Whistle.” Or sing a song (#MyLifeIsAMusical).
  • Learn something new.
  • Listen to music that relaxes you.
  • And one thing very author-specific: Read a book. I’ve found this can inspire you, either to be as good as your favorite author, or better than someone who might not write as well as you do. (This one is last because it doesn’t always work the way you expect!)

There is a trend these days toward mindfulness, which directs our attention toward how to deal with the disappointments and speedbumps that send us the wrong direction. One of my friends does a podcast called Mindfulness: Slow Living, Connection, and the Ordinary Life

In the end, falling into writers angst is a frame of mind. Maybe the writing does suck, but the important thing is not to let it pull you into a black hole. We all have bad days--some worse than others--and we will continue to experience disappointments. The key is to overcome them. 

On those days I doubt my ability, I remind myself why I write (because I love creating new and different worlds to escape to) and ultimately, putting in the effort shines like the sun on the encroaching fog. It helps to have a couple of awards (and five-star reviews!) to provide some validation. Even if I'm only writing for myself, it brings me joy. 

How do you overcome self-doubt?

via GIPHY

5 comments:

  1. If it's writing self-doubt, I look at my bookshelf with the books I've written. I look at the framed awards I've won. I remind myself that not everyone thinks my work sucks.
    For real-life self-doubt, I tend to stick to my little bubble. Enjoy my dog, my home, my neighborhood. I think it's more frustration than doubt. Things don't go right, and I can't fix them. One major thing that's helped over the last year and a half. I stopped watching the news, and don't spend a lot of time on social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, So inspiring to read this and know that I'm not alone! Since recently retired, I haven't found my groove yet. I know what I want to do, it's just doing it, is my issue. Where to start? Thank You so much for your ideas Karla. I have started reading more (your books) and that is one thing I didn't seem to have time for, when I was working. It takes me out of my world into a new one that I know nothing about and it's the journey that's fun and exciting to follow. I'm with Terry, I've got to stop watching the news and listening to the media. Information is a good thing, but it seems like only the bad is reported. I'm sure there's a lot of great things happening and they need to be reported on more. I think this world would be in a much happier place, if the media tried that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love Terry’s reminder to love on your pets, as well. Thanks, Bobbi!

      Delete