Wednesday, January 12, 2022

The Question of Dialect

Here's today's English lesson. Do you refer to someone as having a Southern Accent? Is it accent? Or is it dialect? World Atlas explains it this way:

The process of forming a dialect from the main language may also lead to the acquisition of a new accent. However, it is possible that when a person speaks in the dialect of a given region, they will likely speak in the accent of that particular region. But when a visitor speaks the same dialect of that particular region, he will most likely do so in a different accent. Therefore a different dialect has a greater impact than a different accent. This also happens to people who have emigrated ... from their country to another country. They may develop a dialect from the main language or speak the same language in a different accent.

Confusing? Double speak? Technically, it's a Southern Dialect, not accent. Why am I splitting hairs today?

I've taken on a new project. Often, people want to hear authors read their own work - audiobooks narrated by the original author. I attempted to do this once years ago and gave up. I didn't have the patience, didn't have a process in place. After venturing in the podcast realm, I thought I might give it another go. I'm currently recording the audiobook version of Landslide, my romance novella. I figured I could start out with something short. I'm pleased to say it's going well - better than my first foray into narrating an audiobook. I am, however, hearing my Midwestern dialect. As annoying as it is, I'm not sure I know how to correct it without adopting something completely different.

I've always been a good mimic. I can do several other accents or dialects easily, although when a Scottish friend of mine dared me to try a Scottish accent (no, I can't do one), they teased me for sounding Irish. I can distinguish between Scottish and Irish and English and Australian and even South African, but that doesn't mean I can mimic all of them. I've seen some brilliant videos of people switching seamlessly between them as they read a scripted newscast. I also have an affinity for foreign language. I've studied several, can converse passably in a couple of them, but if someone speaks to me in those languages, my brain struggles to keep up. 

Which brings me back to the audiobook. This project is a learning experience, and while I may be doing a creditable job, I know I can improve on the process. The question is, should I? 

Are you one of those people who want to hear your favorite author reading/acting their own work? 

(Did you know you can download the ebook of Landslide by signing up for my newsletter?)



2 comments:

  1. Interesting. To me, dialect was more about words/figures of speech and accents were the way people pronounced the words.
    Since I'm not an audiobook person, I can't judge the quality of narrations by professional narrators (who are often actors as well) versus the author who knows the nuances of what's going on in the characters' heads. Good luck with your project. It's one I can say with almost absolute certainty that I'd never undertake.
    On a related note, I've been watching the Longmire series on Netflix, and was surprised to find out Robert Taylor is from Australia. He does an American "accent/dialect" very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an accent. Within a region, it is a dialect. Outside, it would be an accent. Foreign accent/domestic dialect.

      Delete