Wednesday, May 18, 2022

When a book disappoints you

I’m moving into the final editing phase of the next book, which means I’m taking a breather to read some of the books on my TBR pile. This gives me a chance to come back with a fresh perspective, and to take note of things I might have missed or glossed over. Reading my favorite authors often pushes me to be a better writer. Except when they don’t.

In the past month, I've read a few books that I was deeply disappointed by. First, an author new to me who wrote about a place near where I live and a tour I have taken. Familiar surroundings, you know? Let me say this--the book was well written, the imagery was spot on, and I completely "saw" the story. The problem? It's a serial. Each book isn't a story unto itself. I was not happy when I finished it and the three main suspects were killed off and more questions were raised. After investing my time and interest, I didn't get my payoff. As a reader, that annoys me. I stopped reading Anne Rice for that very reason. I loved her books, but they tended to be cliffhangers. The Lestat Trilogy? She hadn't released book 3 when I finished book 2 and I was NOT happy to read about the vampire climbing into his coffin where he was {gasp!} not alone. What? And now I have to wait to find out? I want each book to be a complete experience. Beginning, middle, end. No cliffhangers.

I also read a book by a "big name" author, one of my favorites, except she's changed genres. Instead of romance, she's been pushed (I'm assuming by her publisher) into women's fiction. She writes brilliant, deep point of view, has a sharp wit and loads of heart. All her romances have been winners for me. The women's fiction, not so much. I'm really sad to say she's no longer one of my favorites. Over the past five years, she's gone deeper into women's fiction, and the subjects are cliche and trite and over the top in many instances. Not to mention addressing too many issues in one novel. Infidelity seems to be a hot button for her. I generally read a book in a day or two. When I'm writing, it might be a week or so because my brain is otherwise engaged. This book took me a couple of weeks because 1) it didn't grab me, 2) it didn't get better, and 3) did I mention cliche? I read it to the end because she does sometimes meander through a book, but there's usually a payoff. Not in this one. If I'd bothered to pay attention, it would be predictable. The characters seemed like ones she'd written before with different names. 

This might also be a place to mention I'm not a fan of Nicholas Sparks. Not because he doesn't write good books, but because I don't want to cry at the end of a romance. I want that "feel good" feeling. One of my friends handed me The Notebook, and the ending caught me completely off guard. First and last one for me. Yes, I've seen some of the movies they made from his best-selling novels. Best-selling. That means he's good. But he's not for me.

Granted, as an author, we don't write a winner every time. These books had a lot of blood, sweat and tears poured into them, a lot of hard work. The writing is commendable. For me, the stories fell short. In regard to my "former favorite" author, she's lost me as a reader after several of these women's fiction forays. She has a big fan base, and I'm sure others will continued to be wowed--impressed. 

Back in the day... when I was growing up... ugh. Listen to how that sounds! The thing is, the authors I read when I was young were consistent. They didn't suddenly jump onto a trend. They wrote what made them famous and stuck with it. I have another favorite author who has been steered into the women's fiction genre (I'm sure the publishers/agents are pushing them away from romance), but she's managed to hold onto her stock in trade. She calls them "longer" books, because she adds more relationships in addition to the couple that gets together at the end, but when the focus shifts, something gets lost. (I haven't given up on her yet!)

So back to my TBR list. I have some new-to-me authors to read. Trying something new on my next read. Historical with a paranormal twist. Another disappointment. The author wants to make sure you know this is going to be a sexy novel right from the get-go. While I'm waiting for the plot -- and she does address the plot -- there are a lot of diaphanous nightgowns and heated reactions and "highly inappropriate thoughts" that are extremely distracting. Okay, I get it. This is a romance. But can we get there gradually rather than going straight for the *boing* factor? I want to read about the ghosts they're ignoring at least as much as I want to read about how they're getting to each other.

Are you a do-not-finish? A die-hard, read anything your favorite author puts out? Loyal to the end? What do you do when an author disappoints you? 

2 comments:

  1. I generally give an author a try when they move into something different, but if I don't like where they went, I stop, at least with their new series/approach. I finish most books I start, but have gotten pickier as I get older. (Someone once said to me, subtract your age from 100 and that's how many pages you "owe" the author before giving up.)
    I don't feel guilty if I don't like a book. All you have to do is look at reader reviews and see even the top names get 1 or 2 star reviews.
    And I'm totally with you on cliffhangers. Save them for the ends of chapters, NOT the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few books that I do not finish, although as I get older, I find my patience for a poorly written book becomes shorter. With that being said, I always try to give the author my full attention to their hard work.

      Delete