Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Touring More Old Mansions

Charles Gates Dawes House
Last week, I took another tour for research purposes. DH and I headed out to the shores of Lake Michigan to tour the Charles Gates Dawes house. Who is Charles Gates Dawes? Among other things, he was vice president under Calvin Coolidge.

First and foremost, I'd like to give a shout out to the docents we have met along the way. Several of the tours I've wanted to take I couldn't because they didn't have the staff to provide them. The docents we did meet have ranged in age from relatively young to very old, but one thing stands out. They love what they do. 

A funny thing about these tours. I'm searching for inspiration for haunted houses, but once I step foot inside the mansions, I'm in awe of the architecture and the detailed woodwork and the decorated ceilings (which means I forget all about where the ghosts might be hiding). The Dawes house was no exception. Essentially, we were given a tour of the main floor of the mansion, and then given the option to visit the second floor, which had largely been remodeled into display rooms to highlight the past. No longer representative of the mansion itself. One room held a display of mannequins wearing the fashions of the time when the house was built. Another had boards showing the history of Evanston (where the house is located). The third floor was closed off to visitors, and the basement is a historical archive (and requires an appointment to visit). While I would have wished to see all of the house, I was impressed with what I did get to see.

Library Alcove
Library Alcove

Library
Library








This house had a minstrels' gallery! AND it had a hidden door to the butler's pantry that you don't notice until it's open. It blends into the paneling of the wall. DH said he noticed it because of the light around the edges, but I was delightedly surprised. Those were the highlights. Oh. And did I mention the library? GORGEOUS. It had coffered ceilings and walls of books and an alcove that made up the family's "living area." Imagine an alcove big enough to gather the family to listen to the radio or sit around the fireplace or just to hang out. An alcove! (Yes, it was spacious.) The great hall was dark, but well appointed. Portraits of the owners. Architectural corbels with the heads of the four apostles (the house was initially built for a man of the church). A massive fireplace with a motto engraved across the top of the hearth. Your standard suit of armor and grandfather clock. 

Saints on the cornice
One of the saints

Minstrels' Gallery
Minstrels' gallery

Hidden door
Hidden door to butlers' pantry


There are more houses on my list, but as tours are limited, this might be the last one for a little while. With plenty of inspiration to get me started, I've begun writing the first book in the new series! 





Watch for BEING NEIGHBORLY - Coming July 12
Special preorder price $0.99



2 comments:

  1. I love touring old houses. Good luck with the new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's always a challenge starting something new, but being able to get out and see some places has certainly been inspiring!

      Delete