Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Why write when the world is on fire?

In a world when authors are struggling, when it feels like the world is on fire and one more thing gets thrown onto the conflagration, I found this article which speaks to authors about using their words as water to put the fire out. Fair warning, my post today isn’t a happy one.

Six years ago, I wrote a book that touched on gun violence in our schools. At the time, I couldn’t reconcile the senseless violence perpetrated on children, and the only way to deal with it for me was to write about it. I can’t fathom that six years later, this problem still has not been addressed. I hear a congressman saying “don’t make this political.” How else are we supposed to address it? Thoughts and prayers every stinking time it happens? No action to prevent it from happening? Failure to act says they don’t see a problem to act on, and for me, that’s a problem. If congress fails to do their job and act on it, then yes, it is political.

COOKIE THERAPY is a survivor’s story, one that shows “arming our teachers” has consequences, too. I could make all the citations to support my thoughts and beliefs, but I’d rather point out that taking a life, even to save your own or others, leaves deep emotional scars, even for those people who are trained for this possibility. Remember the phrase “battle fatigue?” Later, to be replaced by PTSD.


So what can I do? COOKIE THERAPY has consistently been my most popular book. For the month of June, I will donate the profits from sales of this book to LCC K-9 Comfort Dogs. Throwing money at politicians to effect change seems a waste of time after more than six years of inaction, and I’ve seen what the comfort dogs can do. Even to someone who isn’t your typical dog lover, they make a difference. If I can't stop the violence, at least I can offer comfort.

What can you do? Contact your congressman and make it clear that they work for you. They must act, or they will be voted out. 

1 comment:

  1. Commendable, Karla. Change starts at the ballot box.

    ReplyDelete