Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Destination: Galena

We made it! We finally visited Galena. Between bad weather and other responsibilities, it wasn't as easy as it seemed.

Holograms of Ulysses S. Grant
and his wife Julia

Those rooms under the stairs...


















Galena is a beautiful town and tourist destination. It has a wealth of haunted history, along with a wealth of history, period. I used it as a setting in one of my Epitaph books, when Garth takes Sandra out of town to get away from her psycho ex. It's the perfect place for a girls' weekend (I've done one there, myself) and this year they're doing a romance writers event in connection with their official girls' weekend in September. Since I'm always looking for an excuse to go, I signed up to be there next year. 

In addition to a cute downtown area with all kinds of specialty shops, Galena has outdoor activities. Golf. A zipline. Hunting, for those hunter/provider types. Fair warning. It's a tourist destination, so as charmed as you are by the corner candy store, they're going to charge you twice what you'd pay for that saltwater taffy than you would at home. They have ghost tours every night -- not ghost hunting expeditions, mind you, just historical tours with ghost stories. And the history is rich. If you're walking down the main drag, make sure you look up. You might see a horse looking down on you from a second-story window. I've never been there when there wasn't a significant amount of foot traffic. And did I mention the recreational options? 

We went specifically to see the holograms in the history museum, which we'd seen before, but which had new appeal for me with my current project. You'll note in the photo I took that you can see through Julia Grant--sort of like you might expect to see through a ghost. Galena is a day trip, so we had to justify the time and gas to get there. I would have preferred to go for a weekend but will save that for another time (maybe next year!). 

While we were there, we toured the home Ulysses S. Grant occupied when he wasn't in St. Louis or Washington (after he was elected president). There are also homes of other historical notables available to tour, and a mansion - Belvedere - that is as much a museum as anything else. When nearby Dubuque failed to build their art museum, many of their treasures were sent to the mansion, where they are on display. 

The town has a wine tasting room, and there is a bourbon distillery in addition to the vineyards. They also had (and I wish I'd remembered this while writing my Hillendale books!) mystic shops. Herbology. Tarot readings. When I was writing THE TWINS (Epitaph 2), I'd been trying to find a place to buy Palo Santo so I could accurately describe the scent. I ended up mail ordering some (not sorry, because I have an adorable cat carved from the wood). In Galena, I found Palo Santo sticks packaged with sage smudges in a store that also sold spell books. 

Going from one block to the next.
Good cardio!
As with most tourist towns, the specialty shops come and go, so there's always something different. We had lunch at a little pub called Durty Gurt's, filled with fun, snarky signs to read while we were waiting. There's an Italian restaurant with a front door on the "low" street. When you walk up the stairs to the next block (the elevation between blocks is significant), there's a terrace for the restaurant halfway up the hill. Some of the streets between blocks aren't navigable by car and consist of staircases or brick-paved ramps. 

The trip accomplished what I'd set out to do, and then some. The weather was beautiful, and it was nice to get out of the house for the day.

2 comments:

  1. Fun and research. Great combination. The wine tasting and distillery would be enough to get the Hubster there, although he enjoys touring places filled with "old stuff."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of "old stuff," along with lots of "new age" stuff, and just regular "stuff." Something for everyone, to be sure.

      Delete