Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Grandma's cookbook


Whenever we went go visit Grandma B, she always had cookies ready for us. Back in the day, women wrote down recipes, often in a notebook. Later, my mother had a recipe box which became the norm for her generation. I had a box for several years, and then a looseleaf notebook filled with recipes I'd photocopied. Now we live in the age of computers, and most of my recipes are digitized or snagged online. (Pinterest anyone?)

Grandma also had a wire egg basket that folded into a million different shapes. Entertainment for hours when one is a child. 

Then there was the cupboard with the toys my dad had growing up - antique steel trucks and cars. My grandparents lived almost 400 miles away, and my sisters and I -- four of us -- were all jammed together in one bedroom, a double bed with army cots on either side. Alternatively, the neighbors had a camper that my grandparents borrowed, and we camped in the backyard.

Grandma B's cookbook
When my Grandma died, I asked for her recipe book. Mostly, it has stayed in the same place all these years. I've pulled it down a time or two mostly to reminisce. Recently I've decided to digitize some of her recipes for my cookie page. 

Dear Husband's mother also has a drawer full of cookbooks and recipes. On our recent trip to visit, I'd thought to grab some of her recipes as well, but we had other things to do while we were there, so I'm hoping to grab them (or photograph them) next time we visit.

Do you have recipes that have been handed down through the generations? Are they still in an old notebook, or a recipe box, or have you digitized them? 

You can search Grandma B's recipes on my cookies page!

8 comments:

  1. My paternal grandmother never wrote anything down. She barely glanced at directions on the boxes of packaged mixes. To get her cheese blintz recipe, I had her put all the (measured) ingredients on the counter, then measure what she didn't use and get the amounts that way. My mom's advice is if there's a family recipe you love, get it right away because it might be one of those "in the head" ones. She spent years trying to track down the recipe for her mother's plum cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law knew most of her recipes off the top of her head, too.

      Delete
  2. I remember the items in the photos too! We never got to camp there though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amvigs (?) had a pop-up camper. I think we only camped when you guys were there, too.

      Delete
    2. Omvig was the neighbor. Too bad both houses are gone now...

      Delete
    3. The wire basket brings back memories ! Yes as md always cookies! I don’t think I remembered where mom and dad slept. Didn’t grandma have a hide bed in the living room?

      Delete
    4. The houses were turned into parking lots :-(

      Delete
    5. Yes, mom and dad slept on the sofa hide-a-bed in the living room.

      Delete