Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Requiem

Taking a moment to reflect on the loss of a loved one. 

Dear Husband's mother “closed her account with God,” and now he and I are both orphans. We were  blessed that we had our parents for so many years. We have years of fond memories to reflect on.

One of the things I'll remember most about my mother-in-law was the way she liked to bake. At one point in time, she worked for a caterer making pies, and she always baked fresh bread. In later years, she reverted to "bought-en" bread part of the time. Dear Husband made cutting boards for everyone for Christmas one year, and she used to brag about how she bet no one else used theirs. One of my brothers-in-law also likes to bake bread, so he uses his frequently, but the joke with my other sister was "you mean I can actually use this?" (because it was so pretty). Years ago when we visited, we could always expect homemade cinnamon buns and sticky rolls for breakfast. She was an avid gardener, so there were always fresh vegetables for lunch and dinner, and fresh raspberry treats from her famous raspberry bushes. She used to sell her berries by the quart, and I'm pretty sure she even had a deal with one of the local stores. Even in the winter, she would break out fruits and vegetables she'd canned over the summer. 

She was a quick learner with a curious mind, and very resourceful. She taught herself how to play the piano (and how to tune a piano!!) and played an accordion. She was industrious, never one to sit idle as long as she was able to move, and in her later years, she liked to enlist my help with the crossword puzzles and jumbles in the newspaper. 

A life well-lived.

To honor her, I'll be going through her recipes (although many things she made by rote). While cookies weren't her specialty, she had several recipes that I definitely want to hold onto. Her baking knowledge will go on...

Rest well, Betty.



2 comments:

  1. very nice tribute Karla! and yes, we use our bread
    cutting board too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it "anonymous" LOL (yes, I figured out who you are ;-) )

      Delete