Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Research and pacing

I'm in the final stages of writing with the new book--and finding more research that needs to be done. I've done a family tree for my characters since the story references family from 100 years prior. Which generation is who? How are they all related? (Do you like seeing family trees in the front of your books?) I've also referenced historical events from 100 years ago, but some of them don't line up exactly, so I have to build bridges to fill the gaps. More research from "the roaring '20s" and before.

Another bump I'm finding is the pacing of this novel. As I uncover information while writing, I weave it into the story. That's good, right? Not necessarily. I'm letting stream of consciousness guide my writing, but as I ruminate on it overnight, I've been going back the next day to "fix" it. Sometimes, it's better to withhold information rather than dump it all in one place. When Jessica Fletcher goes out looking for clues, she doesn't stumble on them all at once. She has to find pieces and then fit them all together. Same principle. For instance, yesterday I discovered something important about one of my characters--a revelation, you might say. Later, as I was thinking about it, I realized that was something that might better be left for later. He doesn't know about it, and while it explains why he's reaching for one of his goals, it comes together too easily as written. With an adjustment to the pacing, the "when" he discovers the information might hold more impact later in the story. As one of my critique partners pointed out, why would anyone work in a job they were overqualified for? My character has his reasons, but what I uncovered yesterday in research puts an exclamation point on it. Or does he know sooner and that's his vested interest? Conflict for my narrator, because she doesn't know. Either way, it's too soon for "the big reveal."

Pacing is the gradual introduction of major plot points and teasing what's to come throughout the story. Foreshadowing. Backstory. When to include information and how much without slowing or rushing the flow of the story. Uncovering the clues one at a time to be assembled later. Half the fun of reading a story is the journey, which means following the trail of breadcrumbs and not being given the whole loaf of bread all at once.

I have an update on a release date! HORNED OWL HOLLOW is on my editor's calendar for the end of January, which means it should be ready for a February release date - I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. I'd say more than half the fun is the journey, and it's the authors (not always easy) task to make the ride as enjoyable as possible. Ups, downs, twists, turns, roadblocks, detours ...

    ReplyDelete