Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Writer's Block

I've always said I don't believe in writer's block. I still hold to that, although there are definitely writer's speed bumps.

When I get stuck with writing, I can spend hours going down rabbit holes and chasing distractions (Candy Crush? Words with Friends? or my latest is online jigsaw puzzles). None of those are productive. What IS productive is writing. Even when it isn't part of the story. What does that mean? 

As I was writing last week's blog post, I was using my blog as my distraction. Stuck in a time warp, not knowing how to move forward and out of the ONE DAY my story has encompassed so far. As I wrote the blog, I shook loose an idea. Writing ABOUT the story sometimes gets me past one of those speed bumps. I also do this regularly by emailing one of my buddies to hash out what in the story has me tied up in knots. Talking through (or typing through, as the case may be) the roadblock will often help me clear it. 

As I was writing that blog, I started thinking about a character I'd introduced (and who I have been referring to very vaguely over the course of two books now). I gave him a name. Rule of thumb, if a character has a name, they deserve a place in the story. So as I was wondering what to do with my "problem child," I considered this newly named background character. (Problem child being the person in trouble in this book.) I can't leave them on their own, and they aren't going to put up with a "minder" (as they say across the pond). Enter the character who has been named. They have a vested interest. They don't know what's going on, but they do know they need that character. So while my problem child is "lost," the character who has been named can unwittingly care for them, which benefits both parties. And now my character who has been named has a reason for being named. They now have an active role in the story. All as a result of writing a blog and working my way through one of those speed bumps.

Which brings me to the subject of "how many drafts should a writer write?" I know one author who says one draft is all you should have. I'm not a subscriber to that way of thinking. For me, especially when I get stuck on a speed bump, my writing can become notes that needs to be expanded on. Then, maybe I expand on those notes so that now its a story. Except the story isn't always "good" after the notes are first transcribed, although they are more "story-like." My next step is to make sure I'm not leaving out important details. For instance - someone died. And maybe that's what I've written. Ho hum. Important details might be the characters' reaction to that death. Is it an OMG moment? A trigger moment? A sad moment? A welcome relief? And there are descriptions to be added. Something that stands out about a character or a scene. What does it "look" like? These are all ways to get words on the page and break loose more words. If I can see it in my head, if I can feel it in my soul, there are more words waiting to follow on. Sometimes just flat words that will need to be fluffed up later, but at least it gets the writing going. That's what drafts are for. Get down the ideas, and you can expand on them later.

Writer's Block? I've always heard the cure is to "just write." I subscribe to that idea, including writing even when it isn't "words in the story." Write notes. Write ideas. Write to someone else about what is stuck in your head and often that logjam breaks apart. Bottom line? Write. 

I did promise you an excerpt of the new book, but I'm not ready to share quite yet. There's a certain matter of writer's angst yet to deal with. (Is anybody going to read this next book? Will it be as good as Horned Owl Hollow?) I will take the leap next week and share a piece I hope will interest you!

In the meantime, have I mentioned Horned Owl Hollow is coming soon to audio? Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. A member of a group I'm part of has morning writing as part of his routine -- He calls it the "Nifty Three-Fifty" and just writes anything. It may or may not have anything to do with his wip. As for drafts, I think it depends ... some people don't count a work as a 'first draft' until it's finished, regardless of how much they may have fixed things along the way. I'm a fixer, so who knows how many 'drafts' I've written before I hit 'the end' for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to me, a draft is anything that isn’t in final form, whether its a chapter, several chapters or the whole enchilada.

    ReplyDelete