Wednesday, August 23, 2023

We're Having a Heat Wave... 🎜🎝

Oppressive heat and humidity make good reasons to hide out inside and/or to think of "ideal" vacation spots.

My critique partner sent me a blog post to read yesterday about a boutique hotel/BnB in Maryland that boasts ghosts, among other things. So, of course, I want to go. I mentioned it to the Big Guy, pitching a visit to his family while we're there. His response? "I don't care about ghosts." Well, of course he doesn't, but Elspeth Barclay does! Inspiration is everywhere if you only look. 

Normally speaking, he indulges me when I say I want to visit something purported to be haunted. When we went to NOLA, we stayed in a haunted hotel (although every hotel in NOLA promises to be haunted). No, we didn't see any ghosts. And you know what else we didn't do? A ghost tour. (Which was TOTALLY on my agenda, but I forgot because... vacation...) He likes sightseeing as much as anyone else, so he overlooks my quirks in favor of everything else there is to do. (This is where I tell you he suggested another trip before I even mentioned the boutique hotel to do something I've always wanted to do... He's a good guy, doncha know.)

In the meantime, my critique partner suggested a writers' retreat to the boutique hotel. She isn't so much interested in the ghost aspects, but the setting should be conducive to the craft, and it's owned by "Nora." IYKYK. My crit partner is a big Nora (or, more accurately, her alter ego) fan. Me, not so much, although I respect the hell out of her. So there may yet be a trip to Maryland in my future! In the meantime, I have another trip coming up that I'm chomping at the bit over. 

I'm grateful for the opportunity to travel, especially after the past several years. It's no longer something I take for granted, and something I consider more carefully as I take into account my carbon footprint -- which contributes to the heat wave that started this ball rolling in the first place!

With the summer coming to a close, do you have any vacation plans? Are you planning ahead for next year?









Don't forget - you can preorder the new book! Coming September 26!

Amazon | BN | Apple | Kobo | Others

2 comments:

  1. Our 'heat waves' tend to peak out in the 80s, usually the low 80s, but I lived in Florida for 30+ years, which, IMHO, was one constant heat wave (with the exception of February 3rd). I'm looking at more travel before I'm too old to get around, and ghosts or no ghosts, that retreat seems like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m looking forward to it! we’re at 92% humidity today with temps expected at 100+. I’m mellllttting…,

    ReplyDelete