Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Tall Tales

How many people are familiar with the tales of Paul Bunyan and Babe, the blue ox? I grew up with these stories in the upper Midwest, but it occurs to me that to people in the lower half of the United States (or outside) he might not be as recognizable.

The legend of Paul Bunyan is a tall tale about a giant lumberjack, perhaps more well-known in the north woods. It is said the 10,000 lakes that make Minnesota famous are Paul's footsteps.

On a recent trip to spend time with relatives, we stopped at a "cook shanty" for breakfast, lumberjack style, complete with this lovely statue of Paul and his sidekick, Babe, the blue ox. It brought to mind lumberjack cartoons I used to watch on Saturday mornings when I was a kid.

In the Epitaph series, I've made several references to the Benson brothers as "built like football linemen," but in the upcoming installment, the "new girl in town" envisions Thad Benson as Paul Bunyan (as an avid reader, she has a very active imagination).

I always enjoy revisiting old legends and folklore when I write. What are some of your favorites?





Watch for the next in the Epitaph series, coming this fall.
The first five EPITAPH books



2 comments:

  1. I remember an assignment to write our own 'tall tale' in high school. Don't remember what I wrote, though. I was (still am) an avid reader, so I recall Paul and Babe, and Pecos Bill (mostly from the Disney cartoons). As soon as I hit send, I'll think of more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I remember a lot of it from Disney cartoons, too.

      Delete