Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Genre Books

What kind of books do you read? What kind of books should I write?

I've seen many of my favorite romance authors jumping into "Women's Fiction," and I have to say I'm not happy about it. They are excellent authors, so generally speaking, whatever they write is wonderful, but as a reader, I'm looking for what brought me to them in the first place. No, I haven't given up on them, and yes, I read across genres all the time, but it poses some interesting questions.

As I've been developing my new series, I've considered if I should tap a different artery. I've always loved reading Gothic novels, so I've been spending time looking into the elements that make up such a story. Also trying to decide if I should write one book - stand alone - instead of mapping out a series, while leaving my options open.

Most Gothic stories--romances, usually--are historical. Victoria Holt, for example. A few years ago, Susan Elizabeth Phillips wrote a wonderful homage to the great Gothic novelists we grew up with in a contemporary setting. Essentially, you need something a little bit creepy, someone in danger, and a haunting setting. Sounds like a neighboring alley to what I write.

Haunting setting? I had decided on my next setting many books ago, a very "charm"-ing place. Haunted/haunting? I've heard the place described as Pleasantville. Is that going to be a problem, I ask myself? Yeah, it could be. The setting is a step back in time, where today and yesteryear come together. I don't know if I want to add a sinister element to Pleasantville, and yet look what Stephen King did with the Quabbin reservoir in Massachusetts. What Dan Brown did with the Basilica's cistern in Istanbul. They aren't Gothic authors, but you get the idea.

I'm doing my research, to the extent I can while still on deadline with the day job, and preparing for a mad flurry of writing next week when my life switches gears once again, including a tour of "Pleasantville" and its charms.

Yes, I've started the story, but it's slow going while the balance in my life is weighted against writing time. Can't wait to set loose the reins of my imagination! As the final deadline draws close, the anticipation of immersing myself into this new world is like counting down the days to vacation. That's me, bouncing in my seat. I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to be excited about a new project. That's what keeps us writing!

    ReplyDelete