Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Getting to Know You - Characterization

While I've made a running start on the new book, I haven't laid any groundwork ahead of time. My process is not always the most efficient way to dive into a project.

Many times when I start a new book, I have the basic premise, an idea of who the main players are, and a general direction to start out. Like driving to the next state without a road map until I hit the unfamiliar roads. I've traveled that direction before, so I know how to get there. Sort of. Some times you can fake your way, and sometimes you need directions. I'm not afraid to stop and ask where I am.

Sometimes it takes several chapters before I know my characters, so this method of starting out without the map isn't always a bad thing. It gives me "driving time" with them so I get to know them first, but eventually, I have to stop for a cup of coffee at the diner along the way to find out what makes them tick. Before we go any further, I need a road map. Goals. Motivation. Conflict. Why they act the way they do. Who they are deep down? Why are they on this journey? Where are we headed? Me? I'm just the Uber driver.

Because my writing time has been restricted so far this year, I only have the basics down. I know what drives my main character, I know her inner conflict. I have a basic grasp of the story. I have some peripheral characters, but I need to know more. Who is the antagonist? What are they going to do to get in her way? What is her journey in this story? I've reached the coffee shop on our trip and it's time to sit down with her and find out about her family and friends, about what her destination is and why she's going there. Then I need to spot the roadblocks along the way that she isn't expecting (that's my job as the driver). I also need to chat with the other characters to find out what role they'll be playing in our journey. Like the antagonist. What is he/she after and why does he/she think my main character is in the way? And then there's the whole concept of theme and genre. Is this going to be romantic suspense? Women's fiction? Mystery? I'm working to expand my brand with this one, and potentially lay the groundwork for a new series.

So I'm going to take a few minutes, sit down over a cup of coffee and talk to my character. Find out more about her. Get to know her. She's my pivot point, and she'll tell me where I need to drive. That's the exciting part about being a virtual Uber driver. Each passenger takes you to different places, and half the fun is getting to know them.

2 comments:

  1. You already know more than I do before I start. I've tried ordering a TripTik, but never end up where it said I should be going. I got some great information at a recent conference, but trying to apply it seems to add more stress. I consider my first draft the outline so many writers claim is essential to their writing. Can't fix a blank page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. My first draft is a "detailed outline" more often than not. Then I go back and fill in the missing pieces.

      Delete