Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Holiday Baking

Well, it's getting to be that time of year again. 

Cookie-baking day with my family is less than two weeks away, and I'm already getting excited! I'm making my signature pinwheels and chocolate toffee bars. We'll be decorating gingerbread men, and making hot cocoa cookies and corn flake wreaths (fondly referred to as "spit cookies" in my family because of their "spit polished" appearance). I suspect we'll have a variety of cookies to share, not to mention the fun we'll have spending time together and remembering those who are no longer around to join us. 

I love festive holiday desserts. When I was younger (and much thinner), I used to make a Buche du Noel (Yule Log cake). Decadent fudge frosting, creamy custard -- my mouth is watering just thinking about it. It makes a beautiful centerpiece. These days, I go for simpler desserts, and I aim for healthier options.

For those of you who read MIST ON THE MEADOW, you might remember this recipe. For those of you who read ENCHANTED MEMORIES, this might not be exactly what Madeleine likes, but it would probably do in a pinch. 

Recipe For Ofenschlupfer

(Apple Bread Pudding)

1-2 golden delicious apples
4 slices of bread (Can use 4 Hawaiian rolls, sliced into thirds)
2 Tbls butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
2-1/2 cups milk, scalded

Heat oven to 350 F. Toast bread slices lightly. Spread slices with butter (margarine).   Peel apples, cut in fine slices and toss with brown sugar and cinnamon. Arrange bread slices buttered side up in a 1-1/2 quart buttered casserole dish.  Top with apple mixture and raisins.  Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Slowly stir in milk.  Pour over bread. 

Place casserole dish into a square pan, 9x9x2, on oven rack. Pour very hot water (1 inch deep) into square pan. Bake until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean, 65-70 minutes. Remove casserole dish from pan of hot water.  Serve warm or cool  6-8 servings.

Enjoy this easy bread pudding recipe on its own or with a thick creamy vanilla sauce.

Do you have a favorite holiday dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment