Wednesday, December 29, 2021

...and Happy New Year

First - advance notice that there will be a newsletter going out next week. If you haven't signed up, you can do so here

Second - if you want to be ahead of the crowd and get an advanced reading copy of BREAKING THE MOLD, you can do that by signing up for the newsletter, or by updating your newsletter preferences to include "ARC reader." 

Third - I guess it's time to get to this week's blog post!


While I've been taking a holiday break from writing, ideas continue to bombard me. "I could write a book about this!" "Oh, wait! This would make a great story!" etc. Which goes to prove authors never really stop writing - if you include the writing they do in their heads. This creates problems for when I actually do sit my butt down in front of a keyboard to type actual words into a story. This author's life goes something like this:

That article I read about the man who goes to the psychic was really cool! He's learned how to be skeptical, as much as he wants to believe in them. Like me, he has grown up enjoying stories like that in books he's read, or TV shows. So when he stumbles on a "real" psychic as part of a job assignment, he's more or less blown away. Makes me think of Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost. Think of all the story angles I could explore with this! Should I make an appointment to see a psychic for my own personal edification? 

Oh! That might make a great series! Suddenly Psychic. Random events out of the ordinary that happen to people that they can't believe. Remember watching Night Gallery? And The Sixth Sense? (the TV series, not the movie). And then there was the Twilight Zone, but that was maybe less about mental perception... Time to binge some television shows.

(A book shows up in a newsletter, or maybe it was an ad somewhere.) A gargoyle? That morphs into a human? With wings? That's kinda cool! I could write a gargoyle. The Bodyguard. Kudos to the author an attention-grabbing passage that totally sucked me in. 

(A Christmas book ad shows up somewhere.) Oh! I have a great idea for another Christmas book! Maybe I should write that instead! Or in addition to. No, I really should focus on the new series, but a Christmas book! Squirrel! How fun would that be? Except Christmas romances are usually on the "sweet" side, and the idea might take me into something steamier. I could make it a male Cinderella type story. Yeah. That would work...

I really need to start writing. Start trapping those squirrels one at a time. A New Year's Resolution? 

Wishing you all health and peace in a Happy New Year.



4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you, Karla. Good luck with choosing which story to write first. The others will still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your mind going a mile a minute or even seconds LOL! Whatever you choose to write now, jot down those other ideas that are running through your head. Although, I'm sure you are keeping track, as I know you are very organized. Happy New Year Karla Good Buddy!

    ReplyDelete