Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Hair

I'll have final edits back on Friday, so as I twiddle my thumbs (I have a new story in queue, but with interruptions abounding, it consists mainly of notes), I've been doing research and taking field trips. 

Field trips are fun. The weather is not. As with most of the country, we are in a final (one would hope) heat wave as summer makes its last stand, along with high humidity. Earlier this summer, I got a short haircut to deal with the weather because I have curly hair. Thick, curly hair. Humidity has a tendency to like to run its fingers through my hair and leave it standing on end, or straight out from my head. When it's short, it just curls into tight little curls. Because we're at the end of the summer my hair is getting longer again. Which means the humidity is gleefully mussing up my hair again.

 Here's the thing. Nobody likes their own hair. At least most of the time. If I'm honest, I do like my hair. Most of the time. After years of not being able to tame the mane, I've finally learned how to control it. Most of the time. I have a family member who tells me she ties hers into a ponytail after she washes it to control it, and at the end of the day when she releases, it's fine (and still damp!). I use product on mine. She tells me using product on her hair is like making it dirty again right away - putting something on clean hair seems counterintuitive to her. She doesn't have my hair issues. If I did her ponytail thing, the minute I took out the ponytail, I'd have the lion's mane once again.


When I started getting of an age where high school reunions began, I had a message from an old classmate who used to live a couple of blocks away. He asked if I remembered him, and my first thought was "we had the same hair." (I remembered him for other reasons, but we traveled in different crowds in high school.) I asked how he managed his hair now that we're all grown up. He said he keeps it very short (shout out to Steve). 

When we went to Spain for my niece's wedding, I was concerned about my hair. I kept it long, figuring it would be easier to tie it back in an attempt to control frizzy hair. I was wrong. Fortunately, I found a stylist in Spain who tamed it so I was presentable for the wedding. Muchas gracias! 

Neatly styled (after)
Tied back, but still "crazy" (before)







I'm growing it out again for winter (winter wool, doncha know). Overall, I find it IS easier to maintain when it's longer. Is your hair the kind that expands in humidity, or does it go limp?

Coming September 26!

Amazon | BN | Apple | Kobo Others

3 comments:

  1. One of the things I LOVED about moving from Florida to Colorado was the lack of humidity. For the first time in ages, I let my hair grow. It's fine, but there's a lot of it. Then, I decided I didn't want to be bothered with coloring it, either, so I let it go totally natural. Now I've decided I love it short short. Longer hair when you're 'of an age' has a "pulling down the face" effect, at least for me. I love that I can be washed, dried, and styled in about 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to my stylist, shoulder length is appropriate for women of a certain age. I rarely go longer than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I'm beyond that "certain age." I saw an article in the NYT about 'older photographers who are still active" and I'm older than a good number of them.

      Delete