Wednesday, August 14, 2024

How Many Books is Enough? Too Many? Not Enough?

As an author, one thing that is drilled into your head is how the best marketing is writing the next book. So how many books is enough?

One of the first questions people ask when I tell them I'm an author is how many books have I written. I am currently working on book #33. That number includes three omnibus versions -- The Mist Trilogy, two for The Epitaph Series, and one novella. I've done my part in "writing the next book." I like to consider myself a midlist author. People buy my books, but I have yet to crack a best seller list. With that being said, I have won awards for some of my books, so I must be doing something right. 

Here's the thing. I have ALWAYS loved writing. From the time I was just a little kid. For many years, it was a way to release the random thoughts buzzing around inside my head, let the characters who had taken up residence live out their imagined lives. Yes, I wanted to be a "real author," but I didn't really devote the necessary time and energy to it until a little more than twenty years ago, when THE BIG IDEA took shape, and I buckled down to "really" write. Even as I started that first novel, I worried about market. Would a publisher take a chance on a one-book author? Not likely. I knew right then there would have to be a book two. But you know what? I had a million ideas. A million characters living in my head that all raised their hands for a chance to be heard.

So here I am, more than 20 years later and 33 books in. I love hearing from my readers, and every time I get a glowing review or a random email, it sparks me to keep going. When I finished my last book, my editor told me she's loving this Elspeth Barclay series and can't wait to see the next one. Prior to that moment, I hadn't been sure there would BE a next one. Writing is hard work, and sitting in the midlist can be discouraging. "Karla Who Now?" It's hard to stay motivated. 

Oftentimes, writing a book is compared to childbirth. Sticking with that analogy, I'm in my ninth month of pregnancy with the current book. I'm excited to see it born. After months of growing and developing, it's ready to enter the world. This is also where you start to worry if it will "be okay." Will it be healthy? And then, once it's born, there's exhaustion. Why would I do this to myself over and over again? Will there be another one? So far, the answer has been overwhelmingly, "Yes." 

For some of the books, I immediately started on the next one when "this" book went to the editor. And then there are the other times when "this book" was a hard labor. I've had moments where I swore "this is going to be the last book." I've gone as long as a month swearing I was done. "That's enough books." And then I get antsy. My dreams get more vivid. I don't know what to do with myself. Writing is a part of who I am. 

I question every book I write, wondering if it's any good or if people will respond to it. You'd think, after recently reviewing my Epitaph series as it was produced in audio that I'd learn that yes, I do know how to write. I had so much fun revisiting those books, marveling that "I did that." They were well plotted and well written. "I'd buy that book." As the saying goes, we're always our own worst critic. Not every book is going to resonate with every person, but man. I'll never be sorry I wrote those. Time and distance have a way of showing you what you can't see when you're in the moment. 

So here I go. About to birth another book. Calling on "Aunt Kelly" to help me bring it into the world. Will it be "the one?" Will people like it? In the end, it's a labor of love. 

This is what I was meant to do.


Oh. Speaking of Epitaph. THE ARCHITECT is currently at a special price in audio for a limited time. Part of that "marketing" thing that doesn't include writing the next one. Get it while its hot!

2 comments:

  1. Wow 33 books! I think I have read 31 of them! Keep going! Even though I am not a particular " romance or supernatural" book reader, I have enjoyed reading all of them.

    ReplyDelete