Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Prepare to be Inspired

At least that's what I'm telling myself. I'm working on Elspeth Barclay #4 and, as always, the writing process unlocks thoughts and ideas I didn't realize I was thinking or dreaming. Not to mention something left unaddressed in The Jane Doe Ghost. I'm still feeling my way. Yes, I'm largely a pantser when I write. I like to be surprised by what's hiding inside my own head.

What you can look forward to - Elle isn't quite as neurotic as she used to be, but she has a few new quirks as a result of her accident. One is speaking her thoughts out loud - "oops, did I just say that?" 

One of the things that made me giggle as I was writing was that tendency I have to "trip on air." You know, an innate clumsiness? I wrote other aspects of my clumsiness when I wrote Cookie Therapy. I figured I wasn't the only one in the world who had unfortunate accidents as a result of not paying attention or just dumb luck. But what if those accidents were caused by playful ghosts? That's the theory I'm toying with in Elle 4. Not going to share any more than that, because I'm still working out all the details, but hey, it makes sense, right? You might not see that foot stuck out in front of you, or something that suddenly moves into your path. 

Next week, I'm embarking on a writers' retreat/girls' trip where I hope to get a lot more writing done, along with some pampering and sightseeing and ghost hunting at a haunted B&B. I'm preparing to be inspired (but prepared if I'm not). Seems like I have a lot going on inside my head most days, anyway, but seeing new things and having new experiences often unlocks things I didn't know I was thinking. 

I'll keep you posted. (Oh, and if I don't post next week, it might be because I'm busy communicating with the advertised ghosts at the B&B.)

In the meantime - The Selkie is in production, and narrator Karen Frantz is knocking it out of the park with her Irish accent. Can't wait for you to hear it. 





2 comments:

  1. Inspiration is good, but sometimes you have to go out and hunt it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all around us, if we would only leave the house...

      Delete